Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Thus Daedalus flew

Well, today was another laid back day of walking 'round town; I didn't end up getting to Dublin today after all. I slept in late(er), and then I helped Carole with some cleaning around the house. By then it was 1:00 and it wouldn't have been worth it to spend 3 hours in city, so I promised myself to wake up earlier tomorrow and spend the day at Trinity College and Christ Church Cathedral, and whatever else I come across that looks promising.

So today, instead of Dublin, I walked around the very small town center of Dalkey. I went into every gallery and shop that I could find (that wasn't a cafe or bar), but got terribly bored after about an hour because there's realllllly not much to do there. Although I did find another bookshop that I spent the proper amount of time in. Resolute that I couldn't spend the rest of the afternoon inside a house, and acutely aware of the fact that I'd run out of things to do in the immediate vicinity, I went back to Killiney Hill. As I walked up, I realized that I'd gone there for the first time exactly two weeks ago - it was on my first whole day in Dalkey. Oddly enough, on that day I also wandered through the village of Dalkey. Funny how history repeats itself. It was FREEZING up on the hilltop today, though less windy than before. The weather here was just generally gloomy today - hopefully tomorrow will be better. So I hung out up there for awhile, nestled into a cove of the Killiney Obelisk (eye-catching folly that it is), enjoying a well-deserved apple that I'd packed in my jacket pocket. I also took a panoramic video of the view while singing Mr. Roger's "It's Such a Good Feeling" for Kate. Look for it on itunes.*

*Heaven forbid.

I babysat the boys tonight while Ray and Carole were out celebrating their anniversary (which was yesterday). We played the kids version of Cranium (the game the four of us Muellers used to be obsessed with) and then I put them down to bed. I gave Aaron his space, because he's a bit too old to be tucked in by a non-blood related girl, but when I asked Mark if he could read his nightly Bible story by himself or if he'd like me to read it to him, he responded, "Ummm, probably..." So that's what I did. I was touched to be included in the nightly tucking-in of the little fellow who added me into his family prayer.

Other than all of that, I've been spending a ton of time looking up ticket prices for all of the various transportation devices that I'll be using in the next two months. It's really inconvenient, not having a car...

Well, I should probably try to get a good night's sleep so that tomorrow isn't a repeat of today. I've seen Dalkey and Dun Laoghaire... I've walked every inch of them, it seems. Dublin is getting familiar, but I still count much of it as unexplored terrain - so. Onward ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment