Sunday, March 11, 2012

It's getting better all the time.

My health, that is. Or so I hope!

I didn't write an update yesterday (Saturday, that is), because there was really nothing to update you about. I spent all day in bed, y'see. It's all kind of a blur, actually; I think I had more of a fever than I would admit at the time. I remember waking up at 9 with my alarm clock, and thinking, "No way." That was after not being able to fall asleep until 2, and tossing and turning all night. Carole came in at 10:30 (AM) and asked if she could get me anything, and I don't remember what I told her, but when she came back a few minutes later she had a tray with tea, toast, orange juice, pills and kleenex. I think that was one of the most endearing things that's happened since I got here; maybe when you're sick you just feel gratitude and undying loyalty more than you do when you're healthy, or maybe when you're healthy you're just too distracted to notice. In any case, every time she came back to check on me throughout the day (I think she came up 3 times in all), I found myself wanting to LOOK well just so she would feel like she had healed me. Anyway - that was pretty much my day. I spent all day lying in bed, trying to plan the next 8 weeks and researching plane/ferry/bus/train tickets, and talking to people on Facebook and email while they were awake. It's a terrible feeling, though, being sick and alone and wanting to talk with the folks at home and knowing that they're all sleeping. Darned time difference. Although as of last night, I feel a little closer to home - because the U.S. 'sprung forward', I'm only 7 hours ahead now. At least for another 2 weeks, at which time Ireland follows suit and jumps an hour on the clock.

Anyway. So that was yesterday.

I didn't expect this at all, but this morning when my alarm clock went off, I sat right up and starting gathering my things so that I could go take a shower. Granted, my alarm went off at 8, which is considerably later than I usually wake up for a Sunday morning. But their service is at 11! How nice is that? I then imitated the family by having a very relaxed morning; I even sat down at the table to have my morning cup of coffee. (Which I usually drink while standing in the bathroom, doing my hair.) It's remarkable, but for some reason I don't mind not doing my hair here. I mean I blow-dry it... but yeah. It's usually quite the process at home, just ask my family. (Actually don't.) Anyway - this isn't all to say that I'm completely well, because I'm still all sniffles and sneezes and a little achy. BUT, I'm on the mend. For which we are very grateful.

I loved being at their church. I met a few of the regulars, which include a few other Americans, but mostly very nice Irish people with very nice Irish accents. It actually has a very similar feel to it as my church. It's funny - a lot of things here feel like home. I'm not sure if it's because my community is particularly European-influenced, or the Speers' community is particularly Californian-influenced... but more probably, I think people are just people-influenced. We're all rather similar, really. It's quite remarkable.

On the way home we drove through the city center in Dublin. I'm so looking forward to finally getting there! (Hopefully tomorrow, though I've learned not to bet the farm on "tomorrow") It's a little intimidating, though - being so big and busy... but it looks fabulous anyway. There are so many things to see.

Let's see. We had lunch (soup and sandwiches), and then we drove to the place where the city meets the country and we climbed a mountain. A hill, by anyone else's standards, but to the Irish apparently it's a mountain. It was quite gray by that time, though, so it wasn't as spectacular of a view as I've heard it can be. I found a rock that I thought was heart-shaped, because I know my parents collect those and I wanted to give it to them. But when I got back home I looked again and found that it was only heart-shaped because I'd wanted it to be; so I'll have to keep looking.

We got back around dinner time and have been taking it easy since. There are a few shows that the Speers enjoy watching on TV (mostly crime dramas, as I mentioned, but the exception is "Dancing on Ice"), and I think I'll go join Carole for the results show, and perhaps for a cup of tea.

Good night for me, and good afternoon, California.

1 comment:

  1. I've found, Laura, that it's often the times we see heart-shaped stones in ones that really aren't to be the times I'm really looking for them. Don't stop looking... one is out there! Get well soon! :)

    ReplyDelete