Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Heart exploding!

Well, I'm here! I don't really know where to start. Madrid was a horrendously long and confusing layover... probably the most unhelpful airport staff I've met. Not so much for the fact that they don't speak English as the fact that they don't want to speak at ALL. Or that they disappear so that you can't ask them things. Anyway, I eventually got out of there and boarded a small plane with a bunch of French- and Spanish-speaking people. (I'm pretty sure I was the only one who spoke English, except for the Irish guy who sat across from me... who never actually said a word. But I'm certain he was Irish.)

The rest of the day has been wonderful though... oh, aside from Dublin airport. (What is it about airports in general that's so unpleasant? Stress? Sleep-deprivation? Germs? All of the above plus no food?!) That bit wasn't so fun. The plane was delayed, first of all, so even though I'd told Ray that I'd be in at 2, I didn't get off till almost 4. That was after customs and all that, though, which took forEVER because of a bunch of Asians and Spaniards trying to get work licenses. Also, this old woman kept cutting me in line - all because I gave her my seat on the bus! Anyway. So I went through customs, got my bags (none of which were lost, YAY!), and realized, oh no. I have no idea where to find Ray, or get a hold of him. I have their house phone number, but that wouldn't be much help. I decided to give it a shot, though, and asked a few people if I could use their phones. The first woman was sympathetic but she didn't have one; the second was an Asian girl who I thought spoke English, but who apparently thought I was trying to threaten her in some way or steal her money.... and the next couple I approached ignored me. So I'm standing there, in a quickly emptying airport (it's alarming how empty those places can get so quickly, especially when you need somebody), and then I realize that I'm just gonna have to leave the airport and find a payphone somewhere. As I walk out of a door that says "NO RETURN" (as in, past the point of), I see a man holding a sign with my name on it, who immediately smiles and waves at me. I probably look too ridiculously happy, and run over to him, in an attempt to make the last two hours seem like they haven't really been that long. He says, "You look just like your picture!" and gives me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. And then I knew I belonged.

By this time I was wide awake, even though I hadn't been able to stay awake on the flight from Madrid to Dublin (which was beautiful, and which I DID get a window seat for, because - surprise! - the seats next to me were empty AGAIN). Except apparently my brain was still a little fuzzy, because when we got to the car, I got in on the right side, and Ray just smiled and said, "I'll drive." Silly Irish cars, putting the steering wheel on the wrong side.

It was about a twenty minute drive back to their house, and we talked about various plans and places and our families and such. He was going to drive through Dublin's city center, but it was rush-hour so he decided to drive us to the coast (which is an easy walk from their house) and the surrounding village. It looks just like the town in Dear Frankie - especially with how the weather was today. (There was frost crawling across my window in the plane as we were flying above Dublin county.) I think I'll spend tomorrow sleeping, unpacking, and walking around town. Apparently there are some lovely places to walk from here. The DART costs about 3 Euro, so I think I'll be a bit more careful about how much I go than I was originally planning. But don't worry. I am planning to go plenty.

And ohh, the family. They are so cute. Carole is wonderful, and the boys are hilarious. They were incredibly wary of me at first, even though Carole told me that it was "20 questions" about me on the way home from school... but I won them over in the end, and the boys and Ray built me a small chest of drawers as a symbol of friendship. And now I can unpack. Huzzah!

After dinner I took a shower, and now I'm sitting in my little room on the third floor, which is small with a big bed and a window in the slanted ceiling, looking out toward the coast. Oh! They also have a deaf cat. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Anyway. I hope all is going well at home. It's a bit after 8 PM here, and I'm going to unpack as much as I can before I crash and sleep for a good long while. (Hopefully.) Goodnight and good afternoon, California :)

1 comment:

  1. I finally got to read this, and oh, I'm so happy! Ray sounds like such a sweetheart. It made me cry to read the part about his greeting. I'm so amazed and thankful for the wonderful family God has put you in! God bless the Speers!

    Love, Beth

    p.s. I bet everyone you asked for a phone had already seen your picture on the "possible terrorist" list :D

    ReplyDelete