Wednesday, March 28, 2012

This train is for: Howth. Binn Éadair.

I must have heard that a thousand times between Glenageary and Howth Station today on the hour-long ride. They mention that to you after every stop, and there are quite a few on the way! But it was great - I brought my ipod and settled into a cozy window seat on the train and enjoyed a few of my playlists. I listened to one that I made for last summer, because today was rather summery over here. Weird and wonderful, I hear, for March. Also, just so you know, I'm not one of those people who goes around with their earbuds in all the time. And it was three weeks before I even allowed myself to use it outside of my room, which I think is a pretty good accomplishment. But now that I'm accustomed to the sounds of Ireland, I think it's permissible to listen to my music on a long train ride or a hike when I'm alone.

I wish I could write as much as I want to right now, but I really should be asleep. It's 11 pm over here, and I need to wake up before 6. Ray is going to Limerick again for a meeting, and I'm going along for the ride! I don't have a tour or anything scheduled this time, but there were a few things around town that I wanted to see last time so now I have the chance. The wake-up time is just incredibly unfortunate... especially since I'm still not feeling 100%. Ah well. I can rest when we get to Donegal. (ON SATURDAY! YAY! I'm mostly excited about Donegal for two reasons: 1, because it's the "rugged" side of Ireland and the Giant's Causeway is nearby-ish, and 2, because our return from Donegal begins the second leg of my journey: the Europe-wandering with Kate leg of the journey! Yay!)

Anyway - yeah, I think I actually should just go to bed now and write about today tomorrow. It was a really nice day, and I met quite a collection of interesting people along the way. Howth (pronounced like "hope", but with a TH) is lovely, and today was such a hot, sunny day that everyone was out wearing shorts and t-shirts. I passed some beaches where they were even swimming! Quite remarkable, considering last week's rain and cool temperatures.

So this post really is just a sort of Coming-Soon post. I just don't like letting a day go by without writing SOMETHING, y'know? (Speaking of which, I may not have internet connection in Donegal... which means that I'll still be writing, but I'll have to post things at a later time and all at once. Like I did in the airports on the way here. Which is a pity, but ah well. People survived pre-wifi for many years.)

Goodnight, California. Have a good afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment