Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A day in Dalkey

It's "half-seven" (meaning 7:30) here, and I've been awake for about that many hours. I slept soundly for just over 12 hours, I think. I kept waking up for a second or two and thinking, "It's still dark." and going back to sleep. Eventually I realized that it was still dark because the shade was drawn. I then realized that it was just after 11 in the morning! By the time I had taken a shower, eaten breakfast, visited with Ray and Carole and gotten back in touch with the Facebook world, it was 2 o'clock. I went out for a shortish walk to Dalkey town, which is literally down the street and which one can walk through in about five minutes. What a lovely little place. Although Dalkey Castle is a little underwhelming (granted, I didn't go inside, so perhaps I shouldn't judge a castle by its cover). There was a lady playing the accordion out on the street, though, which made the whole experience complete. I tried not to take too many pictures in town, because I don't want to be "that" tourist... also, there's plenty of time for that later. At 3 I came back, and Carole drove me to Killiney Hill Park, which features two gorgeous walks - one looking out toward the south of Dublin, and on the other side, looks out over Dalkey Bay. She dropped me off in the "car park" and advised me that, since it's a clear day, I should take in the Dublin view. I did - and what a view! I can't even describe it. You'll just have to ask to see my camera sometime, although even that wouldn't convey it properly. The wind up there was RIDICULOUS. I decided to walk to the very top of the hill, and I literally was blown over. I'm not kidding. I know how the ducks in that video feel now. (The fellow behind me laughed, and then pretended not to have noticed.) Anyway, it only took me fifteen minutes to the top and I stuck around for a bit, and decided not to walk down so soon. So I took the right fork instead of the left (which leads back to the parking lot) and went round to the other path, overlooking the Bay. I saw Dalkey Island and the rest of the town, and almost got blown over again.

I don't know what to do with such beautiful places.

The nice thing about that park is that it's within walking distance from their street, so although Carole drove me up there, I walked back when I was finished.

When I got back, I uploaded some pictures to satisfy my family and the Facebook peeps. Who am I kidding - I'm bragging. :) We then had dinner, and talked about funny American phrases. (None of which were mentioned by me, because... well, to me, they're just a way of speaking.) My plan tomorrow is to get to the harbor and the next town over, which we drove through on the way here and which looked lovely. And either Friday or Saturday should lead me to Dublin. Provided it isn't raining too too hard, that is. Also, the Irish people talk about the weather all the time. It's not even that it's polite small talk - it's just that there's always something ridiculous going on, or about to come, or just finished. It certainly keeps them busy. It hasn't rained here yet, but I've got a feeling it's coming soon. I can feel it in my left arm.

Anywho, I hope you're all well. Good morning and enjoy the day!

2 comments:

  1. Granddad always knew when it was going to rain because he would get rheumatism in his right leg. No joke!

    ReplyDelete