Friday, March 9, 2012

Sick day.

So my sore throat (not soar throat, as I keep wanting to write...) turned into a nasty cold. I've been coughing and sneezing and feeling generally lousy all day. Which means, I didn't get into Dublin - in fact, I only left the house for about fifteen minutes altogether, when Carole volunteered to take me with her to drop her oldest son off at school. It was a bit after dusk then, almost dark but not quite, and she gave me a tour of the richer side of Dalkey. Including Bono's house! So that was exciting. I didn't see him, nor his sheep... but I saw the house, and he has a lovely view. Heavens. A view like that would make me incapable of going anywhere else, except maybe out closer to the beauty. But isn't the point of a beautiful view the very distance between your location and the beauty itself?

Oh sneeze. I fell over.

My room is shaped rather like a beehive, I just noticed. Random - but anyway.

I spent today attempting to make plans for my England/Paris visit. It's coming along, I think... I'm just waiting to hear confirmation that the days I chose in April work. If they do, I'll be spending very little time in Dalkey next month. We're going up to Donegal (I love the way they say that, by the way... it's like "Donny-goul", or "gull", kind of a mixture, and the last syllable is drawn out in a way that I can't imitate. Which is a bit frustrating, but endearing all the same.) - wow, that was quite a run on sentence. Anyway, we're going to Donegal on the 31st of March through April 14, a vacation which will include a day trip to Giant's Causeway, which I'm excited about. Then a few days after we get back, I'll be going to England for four nights, and Paris for two. And then I'll be home in Dalkey for six days before flying home to California.

How funny - I said home twice about two different places.

Which means that while April is well on its way to being planned, March is not. So I'd best get on that. I know that church is Sunday, and Monday would be a lousy day to go to Dublin because everything's closed. Oh! Ray offered to take me with him to Limerick on Tuesday or Thursday, as he's got some business to do there. Which would be fantastic. So I guess I'll go to Dublin on whichever day I don't go to Limerick.

And I'm trying to figure out a way to get to Cork, because I want to see Blarney Castle. Turns out you can get return tickets on a bus to Cork for about 22 euro, which really isn't a bad price at all. So I think I'll do that, probably next week sometime.

I need to pin all of these down, though. There's just so much to see!

When I woke this morning feeling sick, I thought, that's alright because tomorrow I can go to Dublin. But right now I'm not betting the farm on that. I just don't want another inside day - I need to get out! Do things! Take pictures and write things! So maybe another walk to town, but with a warmer coat this time. Thus far I've made it without changing any money over, but I should do that tomorrow. If I wake feeling sick, the corner grocery store will be my big plan for the day.

Well. I'm going to go watch The Mentalist with the folks. I won't spoil the ending for anybody at home who hasn't seen it yet. :)

Please pray that I'll feel better in a day or two - I'd prefer to be well tomorrow, but I can live without it. I'd be really sad to miss my first Sunday here, though. Thanks, and goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment