Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rocks, Teddy's, Baguettes and Deaf Cats

Today was a nice day. I got a late start - due to some emails, ticket researches, reading, and some "hoovering" (meaning vacuuming)... but I was out the door at 1:30, headed toward the seafront. Yesterday in the car park (parking lot...) of Glendalough, the boys got ice cream and they kept comparing it to "Teddy's". Teddy's is an ice cream stand in Dun Laoghaire harbor that is apparently quite popular. So then for the rest of the day I was wondering how good it really was, and I'd been meaning to go back to Dun Laoghaire ANYWAY... so that's what I did. First I walked to the beach and sat on a comfy rock (really - it was remarkable how comfortable I was there, wedged between two big boulders at the seaside) and read for an hour. Then I realized that I couldn't feel my hands, because it was FREEZING... so I got up and walked another 15-20 minutes to the harbor, and got my Teddy's ice cream. (I know, ice cream when I'm already cold. But as Carole said yesterday, if you wait for a warm day to eat ice cream, nobody would ever buy any.) So I found a nice rock wall to sit on down over the water, ate my ice cream, and then headed into the nearby town for some souvenir shopping. Unfortunately, the only shops there were really department stores and cafes... so I didn't buy any presents for anybody. I did, however, wander into a second hand bookshop and buy 3 books for myself. (At dinner while I was recounting my adventures, Mark asked if there was such a thing as a "one handed bookshop". hahaha) I considered walking back to Dalkey Village and popping into the shops THERE, but by then it was almost 5 and that's when everything closes. So, I walked back toward the Speers' house and stopped off at the neighborhood grocery store to draw out some more money from the ATM machine. I also bought a baguette and at it on the street corner, before heading home for the evening.

Tomorrow I'm going to head back to Dublin. Over the past few days I've been doing a lot of researching/planning for the upcoming weeks, and I really don't have that much more time in this part of Ireland! On the 31st we go up to Donegal, and a few days after we get back in mid-April, I'll be going to England and France. Kate and I also decided to go to Cork/Blarney for two days (spending one night in a B&B) when we get back. After that it'll be about 3 days until we fly home. Heavens. It all seems so ridiculously short when viewed in little pieces and parts like that.

I'm hungry. For about a week I wasn't at all, but now I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. It's bad.

Oh, one last thing: While Carole and I were watching CSI tonight - well, during a commercial break - she told me that this evening, during bedtime prayers with Mark, he included me in his prayers for his family. "Daddy, Mummy, Aaron, Laura, and Cassie." (Cassie the deaf cat.) I feel quite honored to have made it above the cat - according to Carole, a person's placement on Mark's hierarchy of prayer is quite telling. Oh, and he also prayed that my parents wouldn't be feeling too lonely without me. I wanted to run up and kiss his head when I heard that.

Well, I'm unusually tired this evening. So even though it's only 12:20, I'm gonna shut everything off and count "One, two" until I fall asleep. Have a good evening, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment