Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Life after winter.

For some reason today my head has been feeling really strange; it's not quite a migraine, but it's unpleasant anyway. So I had another laid-back morning and after "half-one" I walked into Dalkey and found a cafe that Carole had recommended. It was a cheerful little place, rather reminiscent of Allison's Country Cafe in Ventura. Almost a little TOO cheerful though, actually, with its pink tablecloths, blue polka-dotted china, white-washed wooden booths and birdhouses on shelves. I had a cup of Americano and a slice of apple tart (which was all very good but overpriced) and wrote postcards in a quiet corner of the cafe. That kept me busy for awhile, and then I started "The Wisdom of the Sands" (Saint-Exupery's last, and reputedly his best), and I was there for about 3 hours in all. I think my favorite part of the whole afternoon was that there was a flower-shop attached to the cafe, just outside the window I was next to. Old women kept coming and looking at the flowers, and they looked so happy to see life after winter.

Eventually I started feeling a bit too sick, though, and it was only getting colder and darker outside, so I headed home. Unlike most evenings (which I usually spend uploading pictures or writing emails or reading books), I stayed down with the family tonight. It's not that I don't like spending time with them in general - it's just that usually they all have things to do, and I don't want to be in the way. But it was nice just hanging out tonight. We watched a science program and then Aaron was playing with GoogleEarth, so I showed him where I live, and they all came over to see my house and the harbor. I have to say, I took a bit of pride in showing home off to them. At about 7:20, Carole told the boys that they had five minutes before bed-time, and she said that Mark could choose a game for them to play until then. He came out with a card game and started setting up. "Is it just you and me playing?" She asked him. "Yeah," he said. "Laura and I can play tomorrow."

I wasn't going to be offended if he didn't want to play with me... but the promise of playing tomorrow did make me happy. :)

The only other truly eventful thing about today happened just as Carole was putting the boys down to bed. I'd come up to write a few emails and I was on my way back down to make myself a cup of tea, and as I walked down the dark spiral-staircase to the second floor I could hear Carole's voice as she read a story to Mark. I was just aware of how stealthy I was being, when I stepped too far on a step and BAM! Fell down. I managed to catch the railing quickly so I didn't actually fall as hard as I could have, but it made a terrific bang and suddenly everything in the house sort of stopped, and I heard Carole gasp and say, "My goodness." in that truly horrified, yet quiet, way that mothers have when they're genuinely worried. I called out that I was fine, that I'd only slipped and wasn't hurt, got downstairs, and laughed at myself for five minutes.

In other news, I've started to miss having a routine. Not so much a routine, actually, as just feeling needed and feeling that I'm actually accomplishing something. I need goals. I was feeling a little glum about that yesterday. I especially get down about how much being out and about really makes me stressed; as much as I try to fight it, I've become forced to acknowledge the fact that I have a small but legitimate case of agoraphobia. Odd, and terrible, for someone who loves to travel. I loved Dublin City, for example, but a few times yesterday I just had to sit down some place in a park and hide out for awhile. I think that's why I felt like staying close to the house today; I'll just have to balance the day trips out. I wasn't sure if I'd feel brave enough to go back to the city tomorrow, but then last night I had a dream that I was home again after this trip. People kept asking me to tell them stories about where I'd gone and what I'd seen, and I kept saying, "Honestly I don't know WHAT I did for two months."

So I'm going to the city tomorrow. Because that is NOT going to happen.

1 comment:

  1. You are going to have so many wonderful stories! And you are much braver than I am. I hate even going to the mall by myself. You'll be fine. I'm so proud of you, going off on your own for this amazing adventure! Look at you, little Miss Independent. You always have been :)

    Love you!

    ♥ B

    ReplyDelete