Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I will call you up and say, "Ain't this life a riot?" And you will understand, you will understand.

Shoot darn. I feel like tonight is one of those nights that I'd write a really long blog, but alas, it is almost 10 and I wake up at 5... and probably won't be getting much sleep for the rest of the week. And I will need my wits about me tomorrow at Heathrow when I have to track down my sister. Which reminds me, if you could please pray that I find her alright at the airport, that would be really nice - because we don't have a backup plan.

Anyway. I will say that today's tour at Newgrange was really fantastic. It was even sunshiney most of the time!!! Which was incredible, because rain has been forecasted all week. It did rain quite a bit between sites, but while we were out walking about on hilltops and monuments, it was perfect. It's funny how God blesses us with those funny little things that don't really matter, like weather. Whiiiiich is convicting to think about right now, because I've been really stressing about the Heathrow thing tonight. But I guess if God can give me a sunshiney day for a tiny little tour, He can help me find my sister at one of the busiest airports in the world.

We visited The Hill of Tara and the passage tomb at Newgrange, which was incredible. When I come back, I'll have to write a full on update of that. Although, I'm not sure how much blogging I'm going to be able to do from here on out... Kate and I will be away from computers until next Thursday night. We spend one night back here, and then head out the next morning for Blarney. (We couldn't be in Ireland without going to Blarney Castle. Come on.) We'll be back to Dublin on that Saturday night, and we'll be here until we fly home on the following Wednesday. So we'll see how the blogging goes. But I'll make sure and write sufficient histories of our adventures when I get back to California, at the very least.

Topics to cover (eventually) about today:
-How I forgot to mention the kindly security guard at the National Gallery on Monday, who told me that I looked happy. And how I responded that I was happy to be with art, and he laughed.
-How I really don't need to tell that story anymore, because I just did.
-How I almost missed my tour bus because the DART train had a faulty track this morning.
-How there was a lousy group of French teenage students on our tour bus today, who were incredibly loud and rude and almost got kicked off the bus.
-How I'm trying not to be racist.
-How I'm really not racist, because I fell in love with the Asian couple and their baby who sat in front of me. And how the baby kept looking back at me over the seat and smiling and cracking up at the faces I'd make.
-How I'm pretty much magic with children. (And humble.)
-How I slipped and full-on fell on the top of the Hill of Tara because it had just started raining... and how ridiculous that looked.
-How incredible Newgrange is, and how amazing the demonstration of the light that enters the tomb on the Winter Solstice was, once we were inside.
-How I have been almost adopted by numerous old couples on this trip, including a couple of elderly Americans today who stood by my side while I informed the guy at the gate of Newgrange that I didn't have a ticket because my tour-guide hadn't given me one. I'm pretty sure they would have fought him for me, if they'd had to.
-How I talked to an Australian lady who is married to a judge, and how I asked her on accident if there were areas of Australia where they "grew wine". I was tired, alright?
-How I got dropped off in Dublin under a light drizzle, and how I bought a glorious cup of coffee to enjoy while I walked to the train station, and rode the train home.
-How I'm inspired to learn how to ride a bicycle this summer. There's a bay that the train goes by, and in the afternoon the water draws back so far that people go for walks on what is (in the morning) the ocean-floor. Today I saw a couple riding around on the wet sand on their bikes, and it got me thinking.
-How excited I am to see Kate, and how tired I am, and how lousy 5 AM is but how worth it it is going to be.

And how I really don't need to talk about any of that anymore - because next time I write, I'll have new stories to tell. And how nice that is.

Goodnight, folks. Be back in a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment