Monday, April 2, 2012

A day in Donegal

Woops - I slipped up yesterday and forgot to write. Shame. But I've been doing well so far, I think - considering how irregular I usually am at keeping a blog. You know what's crazy? Tomorrow (Tuesday) marks my halfway point. 29 days down, 29 days to go - not counting Tuesday, that is. I have the distinct feeling that this second half will really fly by, which makes me kind of sad. This past week I finally got into the groove here, I think, and started to just relax and enjoy things as they came. I don't mean to say I'll be sad to go home; it's just unfortunate that it took me three weeks to figure the traveling life out. But I think two months is a good amount of time - so while it's here, and now that I know how, I'm going to enjoy it. And I'll be equally happy to sit on a plane in 30 days, California-bound.

I think maybe part of the reason I forgot to write yesterday was that not a whole lot happened. It was just a pleasant day; I got to sleep in again, since church didn't start until noon. Carole took Aaron to her niece and nephew's confirmation at the nearby Roman Catholic church, and Ray took Mark and me to their Presbyterian church down the road. I love this area - everyone knows everyone, it's so small. Everything is literally "across the road" or "down the road", and if you want to go into "town", you have to drive a few miles to a place with a grocery store, a restaurant, and a pub. In fact I'm gonna see about walking there today (which means I need to get a move on, considering it's almost 2:30). The church they attend up here is very traditional (as in, not even singing hymns, by our standards - they sing psalms) and very small (we're talking about twenty to thirty people). First of all, Mark is fast-becoming a buddy of mine - he sat next to me in church, instead of his dad. Which meant that I got to help him find Bible passages and songs and things - which was fun. I like playing big-sister. After the service, Ray introduced me to a few people, but within a few minutes everyone knew my name and they were all coming up and talking to me. They were all so fantastic! I mean, the people at the church in Dublin are all really nice and friendly, but these people were just... well, I guess it's just the difference between country and city folk. It's not that one group is nicer than the other, but there is a distinct difference in the way they treat visitors. The people in Donegal just seem to be much more personable and just, well, loving, I guess. I also like seeing the Ray and Carole in their "native setting". They've always been wonderful, but they seem much more at ease here, somehow. They also talk a bit differently when talking to their family or friends. (Of which I've now met quite a few.) It's been fun.

Anyway - after church we all got back to the house and had lunch, and then we drove a few miles out to the beach on one of the most northern parts of the country. Apparently some British group voted this particular beach (whose name I forget) the second most beautiful beach in the world. Not sure if I agree with that, but it was nice. We walked about 3 miles down and 3 miles back, and on the way back, Ray and Carole walked ahead and the boys were lagging behind. Aaron was walking furthest back, thinking to himself - and Mark was running this way and that, first down to the water and then up through the grassy ridges above the sand. Eventually he settled for walking with me, and showing me his shell collection, and drawing the size of some monster Chinese crab on the sand every few hundred feet. I asked him what he wants to be when he grows up, and he said probably a scientist or a football player. He then amended the statement: "A scientist would be my regular job, though." It reminded me of when I wanted to be an astronaut, and a waitress and a writer on the side. Then he said, "I think football players must make more money than rugby players - because it's so hard to score a goal in rugby!" I thought that was funny.

Speaking of the whole "growing up" question, it's interesting what responses I get from people when they ask what I'm studying and I say that I want to be a writer. A lot of people just look mildly impressed, and a few have said, "Do you have anything planned, in case that doesn't work out?" (which I think is a horrible thing to say to anyone). But almost EVERYONE asks me if I've written things so far, and I'm never sure how to answer that question. It's not like I've published anything, but seriously. Why on earth would I want to spend my life writing if I hadn't written anything yet? What right would I have to TRY to be a writer, if I'd never written? Ah well. I guess it's just their way of making conversation; I just think it's funny.

After we got back from the beach, the boys and I played Monopoly. I hate that game, but I couldn't turn down an invitation. We didn't get to finish, so I think we're doomed to spend another night on it - but it's okay. They're pretty cool kids. I'm watching them again tonight, because Ray and Carole are going out to see "Wrath of the Titans"... which Carole, for some reason, pronounces "Roth of the Titans". Odd.

Today I woke up at 9:30, because some of their little cousins came over and they spent the morning running around the house and playing games, the objects of which seemed to be to out-yell each other for as long as possible. So I read in bed for awhile, but then they all went outside and I fell asleep again as soon as the house was quiet. I awoke after 12. The day's been fairly uneventful since then, but as I said, I'm hoping to make up for it this afternoon. It's actually really nice not having the option to hop on a train or a bus to get into a big city from here... I get to relax and be as much of a hermit as I want. :)

It's almost 7 now, at home. Good morning to the West Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment